Sunday, February 10, 2008

In case of insulin pump failure.. IMPORTANT TIPS!

Fellow diabetics! Make sure you listen to the tips given in this video because they are all very important! I have had my insulin pump fail two times, and I was NOT prepared the first time. The luxury of having an insulin pump is taken for granted. Life is much more difficult when suddenly, your insulin pump malfunctions and you are unprepared. The first time my insulin pump failed, I received a new one the following morning. That meant I had to go back to taking shots and eating on a schedule for the time being. The only problem was that my insulin pump had failed at about 1:00am and I didn’t have any long-acting insulin on hand. So, I had to stay up all night taking more frequent shots of short-acting insulin in order to control my blood sugars. The second time my pump failed, it failed on a Saturday afternoon. Because mail isn’t delivered on Sundays, I had to wait until Monday morning for a new insulin pump to be delivered. I was so used to having my insulin pump. Even though I was prepared this time, I was feeling very stressed. It was hard to go back to taking multiple shots for two days after being on the insulin pump for years. I wasn’t stressed because the shots are painful; actually, they really don’t hurt much at all. The reason I was so upset was because the entire process of dialing up insulin into the syringe and choosing where I “wanted” to inject myself all reminded me of when I was first diagnosed. Needless to say, bad memories. In case your insulin pump does fail, make sure you know what to do. It is always better to be ready! So, watch this video; everything he says is very important and true!



No comments: