Sunday, February 3, 2008

INSULIN PUMP THIEF?!

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=a02f35ae-a2a0-44ab-b4cb-89378d083f80&k=43755

After reading this article, I am in complete shock and outrage. I have an insulin pump, and I honestly don't know what I would do if my pump was stolen. This little boy now has to inject himself with nine needles a day in order to live. His family cannot afford to pay over $6,000 for a new insulin pump, so he has to go back to feeling the pain of needles and living his life based on schedule and timing. Insulin pumps allow diabetics to use one needle injection every few days rather than having to take multiple insulin shots throughout each day. They also allow diabetics to live more freely. Before I had my insulin pump, I had to wake up at the same time every morning to eat breakfast on time. I had to eat every meal at a set time, with no exceptions. I began school at 8:00am so breakfast was at 7:30am sharp. That meant that Saturday and Sunday mornings, when all the "normal" kids enjoyed sleeping in, I was up at 7:30am having to eat Corn Flakes with Skim Milk. Insulin pumps work on short-acting insulin, so now I could "bolus," (basically, dial-up the amount of insulin I need) and eat whatever I want, whenever I want. I feel sorry for the 13-year old boy who not only had his insulin pump stolen, but with it his freedom, and his good health. I really hope the thieves realize what they have done is very serious, and not having an insulin pump could harm this boy's health, terribly. Hopefully, the boy will be alright and have his insulin pump returned to him as soon as possible.

No comments: