Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A man's best friend, indeed.



What an incredible story about a man whose life was saved by a dog. If the dog had not awoken this man, his blood sugar would've continued to drop from 40 and a diabetic coma would have been inevitable. He was very lucky that the dog was there and that he felt it licking his face and wimpering. Usually, when a blood sugar is that low it is extremely difficult to recognize anything; it is as though your body is present but your mind is in another place. You can't see much, and if you see something it may not even be there in reality; you are too shaky to be able to move about, and thinking is very difficult because your brain lacks the glucose it needs to function. The lowest blood sugar reading i've ever had was 32. I was sleeping, and suddenly, I woke up trembling and looking for something sweet to drink or eat. I dragged myself across the room and drank an entire bottle of Coca-Cola, although I couldn't taste it and spilled much of it in the process of trying to drink. I was sleeping at my friend's house, so I tried to talk in order to wake her up. She got up and she could immediately tell that something was wrong, and I needed to eat. She got me food, and I don't remember much after that. As far as I know, I ate half of the food in her house and fell asleep. I woke up with a high blood sugar that morning, but I was thankful that I didn't go into a coma. I would much rather have a high blood sugar level than a low one... it is less risky. I wish I had a dog then that would've woken me up sooner before my blood sugar got to be so low!

No comments: