Tuesday, April 8, 2008

What a crazy week

So, for a reason that is unapparent to me, I have been having some anxiety attacks about every other night for the past week. Now, for an average healthy person anxiety attacks are unpleasant. For me, it is a completely different ballgame. Firstly, when I begin to feel panicked or stressed, my blood sugar automatically rises. As if the anxiety attacks aren’t enough, I then have the pleasure of being burdened by high blood sugar symptoms including irritability (mood swings), drowsiness, fatigue, dry mouth, and blurred vision. All of these lovely symptoms felt terrific as a side dish to my entrĂ©e of anxiety. In order to relax I had taken Valerian Root capsules, and extra units of insulin to cover my high blood sugars. (Valerian Root is an herbal plant that is known to be used as an anti-anxiety remedy or for people who suffer from mild insomnia; it comes in different forms such as capsules, tablets, tinctures, and liquid extracts,).The combination of the two had never really been a problem before; possibly because the level of anxiety had been milder and my glucose level had probably not been as high. Well, I should’ve realized after the first sleepless night that I should discontinue taking both the Valerian Root pills and extra insulin dosages. Of course, being the optimist that I am, I thought that my body would accept the two better on the second night, and the third. I was wrong. What ended up happening was that the Valerian Root pills would calm me down, automatically causing my blood sugar to be lowered because the stress level had been reduced. But, with my brilliant idea of increasing my insulin dosage, my blood sugar ended up dropping super low, causing the lovely symptoms of a hypoglycemia. Symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) include trembling, hunger, confusion, difficulty in thinking and recognizing things around you, and my personal favorite symptom: ANXIETY!!! So, the past week has been a cycle of anxiety, hyperglycemia, relaxation, hypoglycemia, anxiety, and it was continuous for days. Finally, I recognized my problem and knew that if I were to take any anti-anxiety remedies I cannot increase my intake of insulin. Experience, ladies and gentlemen; experience is the best teacher, and apparently not a bad doctor either.

No comments: